About this group
This Theme Group has been assembled to help shape procurement approaches in the region.
Growth in demand for construction coupled with supply-side problems – such as skills shortages – mean that procurement remains a major issue in the region. Selecting the most appropriate design and construction team is a vital element of project success.
CE Midlands has charged its Procurement Theme Group with investigating emerging market conditions and helping to shape future approaches to the procurement of construction products and services, not just by clients but by customers along the entire supply chain.
An informed and proactive community of interest, sharing ideas and learning, and supporting the adoption of best practice in the procurement of construction products and services from highly effective supply systems in the region
Outcome Led Procurement: a common sense approach, a guide for clients and their advisers. It advocates the benefits of understanding value, identifying project objectives, pinpointing and managing risks, treating design and construction as a joined up process and dealing with behavioural issues
Outcome Led Procurement: the view from the supply chain. It argues that the procurement of specialist products and services should be based on a greater understanding and communication of the outcomes wanted, adequate detailing and coordination of the works and the identification and management of the major risks involved
Guidance under Development
Establishing Desired Outcomes, a tool to help clients and their advisers clarify their needs and wants as a precursor to choosing the most appropriate project procurement strategy
An insight into the procurement of complex construction products and systems for procurement directors and managers in client organisations. The article will explain the fundamental differences between procuring basic commodities and complex products and systems
Here to Learn (HtL) workshops for key participants in construction projects and supply chains including Clients, Client Advisers and Consultants, Main Contractors, Specialist Contractors and Product Suppliers. The objective is to determine how construction products and systems are currently procured and how they might be procured more collaboratively and effectively in the future
- To share ideas and learning on construction procurement in the region
- To identify and communicate best practice in procurement in construction supply systems
- To represent, inform and influence procurement practices in the whole of the industry in the Midlands from clients through to product manufacturers
- To demonstrate that effective procurement based on Constructing Excellence principles will make a positive difference to project processes and outputs
- To provide a source of guidance through advice, tools and events on procurement for the region’s customers and suppliers of construction products and services
Our Specific Objectives
- To promote the practical benefits of collaboration in the supply chain and the involvement of key supply chain members as early as possible in projects with formal engagement no later than Stage 3 of the RIBA Plan of Work 2013 or equivalent
- To encourage the procurement of key members of supply chains on the basis of value rather than price
- To identify and communicate examples of the business and other benefits of effective procurement practices based on best value rather than price
- To provide guidance and tools to help the procurers of construction products and services along the supply chain to obtain best value
- To encourage the payment of suppliers in accordance with the 11 fair payment commitments as set out in the Construction Supply Chain Payment Charter
Join CE Midlands now to become a member of our Thought Leadership Theme Groups
Find out more >>
Quality Alert Template
These templates are for CE Midlands Theme Groups to create Quality Alerts. Please download, add your content and save as PDF before sending to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the website
How to guide to Best Practice Procurement
To ensure we meet the higher standards to which we all aspire and understand the milestones we must all meet, this guide is an essential publication for all procurement professionals.